I talked on Monday about all the driving I’m doing now, and how the reach of headlights has some parallels to our blood sugar testing.

Another similarity struck me as I was driving through Wisconsin.  It was just about dusk (prime time for deer crossing), and I was on a small, two-lane highway.  There were tall pine trees on both sides of the road, right up to the shoulder. I couldn’t see anything but pavement and pine trees.  I was absolutely paranoid about deer running across the road.  Paranoid.

Picture of a long straight highway with tall trees on both sidesI was torn between staying at 65mph to hurry through this claustrophobic stretch of highway, or slowing down to feel a little more careful.  The thing is, this is not like headlights, where going slower means you have more time to react.  If a deer darts in front of me when I’m going 35mph I’m still in trouble.  It all depends on where the deer crosses!  By the way, Bennet says I should just floor it and not look back.

I had already seen two groups of deer darting across the road; one in my rear-view mirror, and one way up ahead of me.  That did nothing to settle my nerves.

It was so exhausting to have to keep my guard up like that.

And that is exactly what diabetes is like – all of the time.

17 Responses to Always On Guard

1. Scott, what a beautiful road you’re driving down. I tend to hate long drives, but it’s nice during those moments when you can appreciate it.
    I believe your solution to the deer problem is one of those railroad style cow guards. The deer would bounce right off. I’ll leave it to you to figure out how diabetes expands into that metaphor. :)

when we moved to WI, my dad actually bought deer whistles for the cars. I don’t think they actually worked.
    hate hate hate being the passenger down those country roads.
    nice analogy, though…

3. deanusa says:

lol!!oh boy!!after 20 yrs of living there i am really really glad i dont have to contend with that anymore!!
    lol rachel i can attest those whistle s dont work!!
    your right scott they do the unexpected.just like d!!some day i will tell you about the owl who must have gotten tired of flying and invited him/her self into the backseat!!

4. Great picture.
    And yes, the constant awareness. It’s very tiring.
    Another great analogy!

5. Mark says:

We have roads similar to those here in Georgia. Every car MUST have a cattle guard, even a Pinto (which probably should have one anyway).
    I agree with Bennet. Screw caution and floor it!
    Nothing like the wind through your hair and trees in your rearview mirror.
    Oh, wait, you and hair… Sorry… :D

6. Bennet says:

From the 1976 Classic “The Gumball Rally”
    Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving.
    [Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
    Franco: What’s-a behind me is not important.

7. Kelly Rawlings says:

In the words of Mad Eye Moody, one of my fave Harry Potter characters, “Constant vigilance!”
    That’s why I’m wearing a bracelet that says “I’m tired of diabetes (imtiredonline.com).
    But honestly, I like my life. If I have to live it with diabetes, so be it. It’s just comforting to have others acknowledge the ever-present reality of managing diabetes, deer or no. Thanks, Scott. Floor it, baby!

8. sajabla says:

Ahh! Great analogy. I absolutely know what you mean about going slower – one time, on the interstate with NO trees, I saw a dear on the side of the road. Slowed down, it still ran out in front of me, I hit it at 35 mph and it still totaled my car. LAME.

9. Zazzy says:

You remind me again of the similarities of diabetes and eating disorders. I hear that there may be people out there who aren’t constantly hyperaware of what they are eating, when they are going to eat next, etc., but I’m not sure I believe it.
    BTW, back in Wyoming I once had a deer leap over the hood of my car (a little Renault) while I was driving 55 on a rural highway. I wish I could have got a video of that because I have no idea how neither of us got totaled.

10. Meri says:

I finally have a great analogy to use when trying to explain my life to the teachers of my three little diabetics! (While giving you the credit, of course :) As a mother, the eyes in the back of my head are constantly darting back and forth. No rest for the weary!
    Thanks Scott!

11. Scott, all you need is a beagle riding in the car with you and those deer won’t come near you! I don’t know how that will play out with diabetes, though :)

12. OK that last comment was from me! I’m on David’s computer hehe

13. karend1 says:

Dear Scott,
    Once again great post and so dead on about the comparison to diabetes, but……………
    Usually on long road trips, my husband is driving and I just LOVE being on deer patrol, but of course I see them in the woods and never think about them crossing the road.
    I yell out to my husband, I am doing deer patrol, and he just smiles.

14. Cherise says:

Wow! that’s what Minna-what-ever looks like. Kinda looks like MO. I have to be honest…CA isn’t that green and I haven’t seen a deer in about 3 years. LOL. Great post.

15. karena says:

wonderful post, beautiful road. I’m more worried that you are shooting pics rather than a deer coming at you ;)

Funny you should be speaking of deers…. my husband just hit on in PA this weekend!!!! It sucks!! LOL