I am glad to say that I’ve found some work.  It is not diabetes related, but it seems to be paying a couple of the bills and gives me a lot of flexibility.

This job involves a lot of driving.  4 hours into Wisconsin or Iowa (one way) a few times per month, minimum.  I’ve got a lot of time just staring through my windshield and watching bugs bounce off (or not… SPLAT!).  It gives me a lot of time to think about stuff, which is kind of nice.

One of the things I was thinking about is how the tools we have to manage our diabetes are a lot like headlights.  Especially when you’re driving down a dark country road in the middle of the night.  Your headlights are blazing beams of light ahead of you, but when you’re driving 65mph, it doesn’t seem like they reach quite far enough.  You know that there is so much more ahead of you, but you can’t see any farther than what your headlights show.  If something suddenly appears in your headlights you don’t have nearly enough time to react.

But you are also very thankful to have your headlights – can you imagine trying to drive without them?  It would be nearly impossible!

Our blood sugar testing shows us a little bit of very necessary information, but we know it is just a glimpse of what our blood sugars are doing throughout the day.  Even CGM data, which is a HUGE leap in the amount of information we have,  is still just a portion of the information a non-diabetic body uses to regulate itself.

We are thankful to have our blood sugar testing and CGM technology, because we know we need the information, but there is so much more beyond our headlights.

16 Responses to Headlights

1. Caro says:

This is a great analogy Scott. I really wish there were a way to see further ahead.
    So glad to hear you found work, too!

If you have to be driving for work, at least it’s Wisconsin and Iowa and not incredibly boring like Kansas or Nebraska, right?
    Like your analogy about headlights.

3. Congrats and Great analogy!!

4. This is so well put, Scott! By extension, 40 years ago everyone was going 65 mph with a flashlight.

5. Carey says:

Perfect.

I like that you don’t speed. Yay for traffic laws!! LOL
    honestly though, this is a great way to describe blood glucose monitoring. I am always looking for ways to explain to muggles (non diabetical folk) that glucose monitoring is not enough information and that there is a lot of guess work with attempting to manage this disease.
    I will use the headlight analogy too. It works well.
    Great Post!!

7. Hannah says:

Great post Scott… love it…

8. Bennet says:

You can drive 65? Man I see the grass growing at 65.

9. Zazzy says:

I really like your headlight analogy. And it’s so true, also, that not long ago the best we had were flashlights. What’s really frustrating for me that as a person with type 2, is how we’re actively encouraged by insurance companies and even doctors, to turn our headlights off. We don’t need to know, we’re told. We don’t have to see what’s on the road. Just check every few months to see if we got where we were going.

Congratulations on the new job! I’m glad to hear that you found something.
    As for the headlights… I agree. We see a little bit ahead of us but not far enough. Great analogy! ;)

11. missitaly says:

Congrats on the job, Scott! I’m happy for you.

12. Scott,
    YAY for a job that will pay some of the bills. Hope that you are enjoying it.
    Great post. I love it.

13. Mark says:

Great post! Once again, excellent commentary and insight into our lives…

14. karend1 says:

Scott,
    I am soooo happy for your new job, as you know many of my family members are struggling.
    My BIL and sister, sold their home, so one burden off their list, but not the happiest of times, as Avery my 4 year old niece said mommie I don’t want to move, I want to look out my bedroom window. :(
    I know this is all for the best and I have faith things will work out for them just like they did for you!!!
    Great post as always,
    Karen

15. Cherise says:

Thank you God for my sugachine and Omnipod:) the things we take for granted:)

16. Lyrehca says:

Congratulations on finding work!