A couple of years ago my dad helped me track down my official discharge records. We always knew I was diagnosed in April, but now I have the actual date.

April 26, 1980 I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

It is a date that I mark with tremendous gratitude.  Two generations ago I would not be here today.

It is a date where I mentally recognize all of the hard work, determined effort, humble appreciation, and downright stubbornness that I put forth to live with this disease.

All of you in the Diabetes Online Community are a huge part of what keeps me going.

Thank you!

39 Responses to 31 Year Diabetes Anniversary

Here’s to another year, and many many more to come :)

2. Amy says:

I never comment on anniversary posts because I have no idea what to say! So…good job, congratulations, keep up the good work, and enjoy your day!

3. Mike says:

Congratulations Scott.. Wishing you good health for the years to come. 31 by far outweighs my measly 13 years (celebrated last weekend).. 【ツ】

4. Penny says:

Happy 31st Diaversary Scott! Thank you for all that you as part of the DOC! I am proud of you and all the hard work you put into managing the D. Glad you are here :0)

5. minnesotaAnn says:

How cool .. to get to spend your Diabetic Anniversary hanging with a bunch of fellow Diabetics?

See you tonight!

6. Kim says:

Congrats on the diaversary, Scott! :)

7. Martin Wood says:

Happy Diaversary good buddy!

8. JaimieH says:

Happy D-versary~!~! Bolus up broham! <3 May you continue to fight the good fight…xo

9. D Jopke says:

Tipping back a frosty cold DC for you my friend. You should too! :-)

10. k2 says:

Scott –
    Happy Diaversary my friend!!
    Continue 2 celebrate all the fantasticalness
    that is Scottie J!
    HUGS
    Kelly K

11. Kerri. says:

Happy diaversary to a true member of my family. xo

12. G-Money says:

Happy Diaversary my brother!

Congrats on 31 years, my friend!!!

14. Jim says:

Cheers, Scotty J!

-j.b.

15. Scott S says:

Congratulations on this anniversary (not that 31 years without the forever-promised-but-never delivered-cure-within 5 to 10 years is something to be celebrated, but … 31 years in still good health with a treatment protocol as demanding and largely unscientific (insulin, for example, is NOT dosed physiologically) as diabetes care IS worth celebrating)!

16. claire says:

31 years- that’s a lot of test strips!!! from one pin cushion to another, keep going! and congrats on taking care of yourself all these years.

17. Mike Hoskins says:

Congrats, Scott! Happy 31st Diaversary, my friend! Hope it’s one full of cupcakes and unicorns and easier-than-usual Turkish Getups. And all that good stuff in life!

18. Hallie says:

Congrats!! April must be quite a month. Sweets Diaversary is tomorrow. I hope you celebrate today all the hard work and effort and energy you spend on diabetes. I hope you celebrate this day and you celebrate YOU! Go have a cupcake!!

19. Stacey D. says:

Happy d-versary Scottie! Wishing you many, many more years of hard work, determined effort, humble appreciation, and downright stubbornness!!! :)

20. Sysy says:

Wow Scott! 31 years is an amazing achievement! You should be really proud of yourself. You’re an inspiration to us all to keep going and continue being a kind and non-jaded person in the midst of such a tiring disease. Congratulations! Celebrate it up!

21. Auntly H says:

Definitely a day to celebrate! Happy diaversary, my friend.

22. Sara says:

Woot! Woot!

Here’s to 31 more or a CURE! :)

23. Lauren says:

Here’s to not having to celebrate another year. Congrats on keeping up the good work!

24. AmyT says:

Holy cow! 31 years?! I’m not even that old {grin}

Seriously, it feels like you should splurge on 31 flavors today. Congrats, my friend.

25. Kelly Booth says:

Happy Diaversary Scott! Thank you for everything that you do for us.

26. Heidi says:

Happy Diaversary, Scott. May you have many more healthy,happy years-you rock!

27. Christel says:

All the cool kids have diaversaries in April. :)

With much gratitude for the disease that brought us all together – and keeps us fighting, but much more love for the people like you that lead the way.

Kisses, my d-bro.

28. Congrats youngin’! you know, back in my day I had had to walk barefoot through a snowing kitchen to the fridge to get my insulin and it was uphill both ways!

Seriously, tho, congrats and many more my friend

29. Happy d-versary Scott and congratulations. Getting the official date is useful because you just might want to get the 50-year medal in 2030, and by then getting accurate dates would be a lot harder.

Thanks for all you to help the DOC.

30. Happy D-versary Scott! You have much to be proud of. Keep on keeping on. :-) You rock.

31. From Norway says:

Happy Diaversary!

Btw I got diagnosed on 09.09.2009 (I had just turned 17). That’s a day I’ll never forget.

You and the diabetes online community (the blogs) keep me going on as well :) People in the online community r like my role models.

Keep up the good work :) And thank u for helping me, even though I guess u don’t know that :)I hope I can be a part of this online community one day.

Hugs from Norway

p.s:Please reply :)

• Thank you! And big hugs right back to you!

That is a pretty memorable date indeed. I say you should celebrate that date in some way! Give yourself a little “pat on the back” for all of the hard work you do in taking care of yourself.

I’m so thrilled that you’re finding so much help and encouragement through the blogs. I think it is pretty incredible just how many fantastic people and talented storytellers we have the benefit of learning from. You should jump on in! We’re a pretty welcoming bunch! :-)

Thanks again – your comment gave me a big smile today!

32. FatCatAnna says:

I wish I could know my exact date of diagnosis!!! The hospital I was diagnosed at in Ottawa has undergone alot of changes over the past 20 years. My Mum/Dad due to aging are vague on when I was actually diagnosed – one says 1967 – one says 1968. I just knew I was in Grade 1 at the time – and peeing like a horse and having to hold my shorts up since they kept on falling off of me due to weight loss (I knew I was meant to be a stripper – paint – get your mind out of the gutter).

How young were you when you were diagnosed Scott?

• Hey Anna,

I was five when diagnosed. My dad helped me cast a pretty wide net to almost all of the local hospitals. Luckily they hadn’t changed much in all of that time.

We couldn’t remember which hospital I was diagnosed at. My mom would have remembered, but she’s not with us anymore. I tried a few on my own, and got very discouraged when I didn’t get any returns on it. My dad helped my work backwards through the first endocrinologist I saw, and we backtracked it that way. We also didn’t limit it to the month and year we remembered, but rather just asked for everything in that year.

It was a lot of trial and error, and seemed to take forever, but we eventually found it.

33. alexis says:

Better late than never right? Happy Diaversary!! Honored to know you!!

34. Barbara says:

Congrats on another year! Many many more to come!

35. [...] post about Siobhan’s diagnosis. April also marked the diaversaries (diabetes anniversary) of Scott Johnson and [...]

36. [...] post about Siobhan’s diagnosis. April also marked the diaversaries (diabetes anniversary) of Scott Johnson and [...]