I bumped into Mike at the ice machine in the lunchroom, and took the opportunity to thank him for all of his time, energy, and hard work on a product that is attached to me 24×7.

At this time, probably around the fall of 2006, I had been in only a few meetings with him and didn’t know him very well.   But his reputation as the “brains behind the system” was solidified with each and every exposure I had to him.   He put so much of himself into each and every little decision.  It was clear that he completely understood diabetes.  It was also clear that he was incredibly smart and very talented.

Yet he was very humble and approachable, and always looked for input and differing perspectives.  Even with all he knew, he knew he didn’t know it all.

His response to me at the ice machine that day said so much.  I will always remember it.

“By introducing ‘insulin on board’, we have improved the lives of insulin pump users whether they choose our pump or not.”

He was all about improving lives and improving insulin pump therapy in general.

Seeing that sort of dedication to the general well-being of those living with diabetes affected me.  It wasn’t about business, resources, dollars and cents, and the financial bottom-line.

It was about improving lives.

I will forever miss working at Cozmo, mostly because of people like Mike.

I am so grateful for that short conversation at the ice machine.  That memory will always remind me what I want my life to be about — helping people.

11 Responses to A Story That Set The Bar

1. Bob P says:

Very inspiring story!

2. Jane K says:

LOVED the Cozmo. You will have to let us know when something you deem as worthy comes along. Glad people like Mike are in our court.

• Nancy says:

I am surrounded by wonderful people in my life who live with diabetes (including my son)and my pal Scott. I am constantly in awe of what it takes to live with this damn disease. As a CDE, I have the opportunity to support and walk the diabetes journey with people. I see how strength and vulnerability come together and help to create exceptional souls. I have become a better person because of the exposure I have to folks with diabetes.

3. Wendy says:

We loved Cozmo. IOB is something I absolutely cannot fathom managing my daughter without. I love IOB!!!!

4. More and more I am realizing that improving diabetes, and hopefully someday finding a cure for it, is the result of a small number of caring yet nameless people who fight for all of us. We may never be able to thank them personally, but on occasion, like you have done here, we can turn a thankful spotlight on them for a moment.

5. Judi says:

I love Cozmo and will continue to use it until it dies. There is nothing else on the market today with all the great features the Cozmo has.

6. Great story! That’s what it’s all about. :-)

Long live my Cozmo!

7. Alexis says:

Biggah still says “coolest pump!”. What a great experience to have worked there, sad they had to close their doors.

IOB? Lifesaver. Literally!

8. G-Money says:

I love this story man. It’s funny how there are moments in life that completely change everything, forever.

Awesome.

9. Still wearing and loving my Cozmo. I was talking with my wife last night about the complete lack of real alternatives to it, so I’ll continue to wear it after the warranty expires in late October. I really wish another pump maker (are you listening Roche?) would buy the technology and re-introduce it.