Cozmo pump with attached CoZmonitor

Cozmo pump with attached CoZmonitor

For the first time in about eight years I forgot to take my blood sugar meter with me today.  I have been wearing a Cozmo insulin pump for at least that long, and as such, I’ve had my meter connected to me, literally.

The Cozmo pump (discontinued in 2009) had a Freestyle glucose meter that actually clipped onto the back of the pump.  There was a slot for the test strip, and the results would be displayed right on the screen of the pump.

In a slightly over-sized belt pouch, I could carry days and days worth of insulin and everything I needed to test my blood sugar.

I haven’t had to carry one of those “meter pouches” for longer than I can remember.  Until now.

I was recently given an opportunity to try the Medtronic MySentry device for a few months.

The system only works with the Medtronic pump and sensors, so in order to try the system I have to also try the pump and sensor.  Which means I have to let go of my dear old Cozmo for a little while.

The biggest adjustment so far has been the need to remember to bring a glucose meter (and supplies) with me.

I can’t emphasize enough how big of a lifestyle change this is for me.  I knew it would be just a matter of time before I forgot it.  Sure enough, today at lunch.

So what did I do?  I did what any meterless PWD would do.  I bolused based on my CGM reading (though I’m not wearing the MedT CGM just yet – I get hooked up on Monday).

I know, I know!  We are never supposed to make such important treatment decisions based on CGM readings.

What would YOU have done?

9 Responses to Forgot My Meter

1. Jen says:

Probably the same thing, if my sensor was trending accurately. I have forgotten extra strips and ran out during a party about 40 mins away from home….solution was to send hubbub ro CVS down the road and buy a Sidekick True to go meter for $9.99 with 10 strips included. Worked well, comparatively accurate when tested against my one touch later. And there was a rebate for $9.99. So it turned out to be free.

2. Jollymon says:

1st, I would freak out and let out some kind of curse word.

Next, I’d turn around and start going home for a BU meter. That’s either a surplus meter that you have, or an old one that you’ve stopped using. Or maybe that’s where you’ve left your primary meter.

Other options are to beg one from either your dr, or the closest med facility- those nice med supply reps sometimes leave them there.

Another one is not at the pharmacy, but a durable medical EQ (DME) supplier- mine has a box under the counter of stuff that they’ve collected & can give away.

Or you could buy a new one.

If you’re about to fall down with lo bs and you don’t know which way is up, go conservative and just eat. If this is true, calling 911 will introduce you to a very nice paramedic who will have one in the truck. They have everything in the truck- somedays I need a truck like that!

So you’ve got options on how to deal with a lost meter. Getting over the initial shock is the 1st step- let the curse word alarm fly so that you can move on to the fix!

3. Kevin says:

Ha!

I bolus off my CGM ALL THE TIME.
    Not proud, mind you, just statin’ the facts.

I’ve slipped from testing 20 times a day to testing 2 times a day.

Somewhat torn about that trend: Life is certainly better without testing so much, and my A1c has never been better in my life, but I feel like a total d-slacker!

I can’t put into words how much I love my Dexcom!

4. Mike Hoskins says:

Same thing as you did there, Scott.

It happens.

Although, I don’t forget my meter case often.

Honestly, as appealing as the idea of the attached BG meter on the Cozmo was to me, and was a key decision-maker for me in switching from MM, I didn’t like it once I got my hands on it.

If memory is correct (which is always a possibility that it’s not), you have to unclip the regular clip to use the blood meter one. And it didn’t allow me for quick access and was a little of a hassle. (Again, I may be remembering this wrong).

Obviously, not everyone shares this view and I’m glad.

Whatever works when we need it, I say! Thanks for this post, Scott!

5. Johanna B says:

I keep BG meters all over the place. I have two at home, one in my desk drawer at work, and one in my purse. Hopefully, I’ll never be in a situation where I’m caught without one. On the other hand, if I’d been in your situation I would have bolused off the CGM.

Guess what I would have done? That’s right. Whatever you did.

7. Scott E says:

When you don’t have everything you need, you do the best you can with what you’ve got. In your case, that was the CGM. Now, if it had been trending somewhat reliably until then, I’d bolus off of it with little concern (except maybe knock off a half a unit of insulin to account for lows – especially if I don’t feel them too well).

But like others said, I might buy a meter. Most every pharmacy has meters and ten strips that are free, after mail-in-rebate, but they claim you can only use it once. I’ve got one of those meters in my work bag now, in case it happens a second time. I’ve also got one in my car’s glove box, but as summer rolls around, I may need to reconsider that.

But I believe you should do what you can with what you’ve got, and at the time, I think you did just that.

8. Laddie says:

I think that women with diabetes have life a bit easier than the guys because we keep all our diabetes stuff in our purses and rarely go anywhere without them. Even with that, I wear cargo pants as much as possible so that pockets are filled with pump, Dexcom, glucose tabs, keys, phone etc. Because of my purse I am lucky that in recent years I’ve never had the dreaded forgot-my-meter situation. But I would have probably done what you did.

Although I love my two Ultralink meters that beam the results to my Revel, they’re huge especially when in the case. That’s going to be a problem for you. Long term you’ll need the IBGStar meter to keep clipped to your phone, but then you have to remember strips and a lancet device….

Now you have two items for your life emergency kit: a meter and basketball pants

9. Dawn Di Peppe says:

I would have probably bolused for my carbs but only a portion for my correction until I got home. My sensor is not so accurate so I would rather be safe the go low trying to drive home. However if I had the Dexcom G4 I would probably just bolus from that number because it is sooo accurate.