One week ago today I rode my bicycle for 102 miles.

102 Mile Route

I still can’t believe I did it.

Riding!

I trained for 18 weeks with TeamWILD.  Each week of training brought hours and hours on the bike.  I pedaled inside, I pedaled outside.  I pedaled in the cold, I pedaled in the heat.  I pedaled in the rain, I pedaled in the sun.

Each week of training brought me closer to the big ride, and each week of training increased my physical ability.  Along with the physical training, the TeamWILD coaches taught me about diabetes management, hydration, and nutrition.

I learned a lot of lessons (took a lot of lumps) through my training, and put it all into practice on the big day.  It worked perfectly!

I was able to hang with the group (Heather, her cousin, Gary, Jeff, and Scully) until we hit the rollers (little baby hills – about a million of them) west of the cities.  Scully was riding slow because she was sipping on a coffee that she ordered at the second rest stop, and the rest of the crew was visiting with each other.  Once we hit those rollers, I just couldn’t keep up anymore.

Besides the rollers kicking my ass, I also had trouble with my back tire going flat a few times.  I had to stop and pump it up, then ride a bit, then stop and pump it up, then ride a bit, etc.  I was so discouraged.  I lost my group, the hills were killing me, and riding on a mushy tire made it that much harder.   I was alone, exhausted, unsure of myself, and ready to give up.

I leaned hard on my faith and a TeamWILD training technique.  Little successes.  I counted my pedal strokes (one, two, three, four, five … one, two, three, four, five …) and worked to get to the next mailbox, light post, or top of the next hill.

I got to the next rest stop and asked the volunteer mechanic to swap out my tire tube.  He found and removed a small wire that had poked through my tire and caused the slow leak.  That rest stop was at mile 52.

With a new tube, the road debris removed from my tire, a fresh camalbak full of water, and some fresh fuel in my stomach, I was back on the road and feeling much better.

I found Gary, one of the other Pancremaniac Red Riders, at one of the last few rest stops.  We pretty much carried each other through the last thirty miles.  I couldn’t have done it without Gary, and he says the same for me.

I only thought I was going vomit four or five times through those last few miles.

My blood sugars were incredible.  Almost unbelievable actually.

Concentrating

97 mg/dl –  6:03 AM – Start Line
136 mg/dl – 6:43 AM
113 mg/dl – 7:30 AM
166 mg/dl – 8:19 AM
159 mg/dl – 9:21 AM
137 mg/dl – 10:03 AM
143 mg/dl – 10:48 AM
153 mg/dl – 12:43 PM
142 mg/dl – 1:14 PM
150 mg/dl – 2:34 PM
136 mg/dl – 3:04 PM
177 mg/dl – 3:33 PM – Finish

I was running a 50% basal temp rate.  I consumed nearly 600 grams of carbohydrates, and didn’t take a single drop of bolus insulin.  I drank about 300 ounces of water, and didn’t need the bathroom until hours later.

Even though we were among the last to return, the Pancremaniac crew was at the finish line to bring us in with a bunch of cheering and celebration.  We even made it back in time to get worked on by a volunteer massage therapist.

I was hurting from the ride, and this massage therapist made me want to cry.  It was a lot like the dentist.  Sometimes it hurts, but you know it’s good for you.

After a quick ride home for a shower, I headed to the team celebration dinner.  I burned well over 5000 calories on that ride, so I didn’t feel at all guilty about ordering two grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner.

Grilled Cheese x's 2!

I cannot tell you how incredible it was to hang out with Jeff and Scully so much, and I wouldn’t trade the training time with Heather for anything.  Would I do anything different?  Yes.  I’d remember to put sunscreen on my face…

DOC 100 Mile Club

The ride was so hard.  But you know what?  I worked pretty damn hard training for this.

If I can follow a plan and pedal myself 100 miles, so can you.  This is a shining example of the everyman story.  I am no superstar athlete.  Wait…  I WASN’T a superstar athlete.

I am now.  I rode my bicycle 100 miles in one day, and was back on the basketball court three days later.

If I can do this, you can do this.

A special note of thanks to everyone who supported me.  Your generosity is unmatched and appreciated so much.  I thought of each and every one of you as my mind started playing tricks on me, and as I crested the top of each of those damn rollers I thought of you.

For what it’s worth, my wife said that while I was sleeping that night, my legs were pumping imaginary pedals every few minutes.  I think that is pretty funny, but it doesn’t surprise me one bit!

28 Responses to Pedaling In My Sleep: 102 Mile Ride

1. Danie says:

Very inspiring post!
    Well Done on such an amazing achievement :)
    I have just got into cycling recently and have not yet discovered exactly what it does to my BG levels, every ride differs at the moment!
    After reading this I will definately keep on going, only hope that one day I have the drive to manage what you have!
    Well Done again, Danie.

2. Zazzy says:

Congratulations! I’m so happy and proud for you. Riding 100 miles is incredible for anyone but doing it while managing blood sugar is amazing! What great numbers. 6000 gms of carbohydrates? Tell me it was all chocolate… :)

3. I am SO.PROUD.OF.YOU. !!!!!
    Your blood sugars rocked. You did a great job consuming carbs and seems like you had a perfect temporary basal rate setting.
    You, my friend, are a SUPERSTAR!!

4. Scully says:

You are pretty dang awesome my friend. I am SO so impressed with what you accomplished. That was the first time I had ever ridden 100miles and you pulled it off. Seeing you after the finish filled me with so much joy. I think you have more will and determination than almost anybody I know. You rocked that ride, rocked the BGs and earned those grilled CHEESES!

5. Heidi says:

I am in awe of you guys-you guys kicked butt,& look amazing (post-ride) to boot! Way to go! (and I’m glad you got to enjoy a fabulous celebratory dinner-you deserve it!)

6. Heidi says:

I am in awe of you guys-riding 100 miles,& looking amazing (post-ride) to boot! Way to go! (and I’m glad you got to enjoy a fabulous celebratory dinner-you deserve it!)

7. reyna says:

Scott…you.are.amazing. Such an inspirational post … AND … so glad you got to meet Scully. She is one of a kind!

8. Jeff says:

Fantastic ride and fantastic post, Scott!

I’m really glad that you stuck with the whole 100 miles. We all knew that you could do it, and you DID! You’re a true inspiration, and I hope your example will motivate some other people in the community to give this a try.

Way to go!

9. Scott S says:

I’m impressed! Sounds like a great event, and the timing was good. In a few more weeks, the heat and humidity would have made the event less-than=enjoyable!

10. You DID it Scott, and may it forever be one of those transcendent moments of your life.
    When effort leads to results, there is no sweeter victory.

11. Jen says:

What an amazing experience Scott! Awesome job, both on the training and the ride itself. And holy perfect blood sugars during your ride – they rock!!

12. Liz Breiner says:

Congratulations Scott!! I loved reading your post (and Scully’s)and I’m very inspired!! I just did my Tour de Cure in Riverhead, Long Island for 20.3 miles this past Saturday. It was my first ride and I didn’t think I could do it. It’s an amazing feeling when you reach a goal that you set for yourself, especially when you mix diabetes in with all the other. Go Scott!!

13. Laddie says:

So unbelievably inspiring. Congratulations, Scott!

14. StephenS says:

Scott, this is pretty great. I had a 100 miler on Saturday, and although I finished, I didn’t feel so great after. Congratulations on the great ride!

You constantly inspire me. All you have accomplished, all you have changed, all you have given up, and all your have been given makes for quite a success story.

I thank God for you all the time.

16. AmyT says:

WOW Scott, congrats!! The furthest I’ve ridden in one day was 50 miles, and I thought that was huge. Here’s to 100!!

17. O wow Scott just incredible, Makes me long for those century rides. a wise man once said A mighty feat is only as insurmountable as we make it out to be, I bet you probably didn’t think you could accomplish this until you did..:) Next Race across America lol

18. Great post Scott and congratulations on finishing 102 miles. I’m a ‘biker’ but I don’t think I’ve ever done a ride over 50 miles, what you accomplished was awesome.

Yay Scott!!! I’m so proud of you, my friend!!

20. k2 says:

You inspire me daily my wonderful friend and I’m so proud of you!

21. Jess says:

yay, scott! way to go, my friend! :)

22. robk says:

Wow- Incredibly inspiring. You are why I ride. Go red rider. I hear the onlything better than one century ride is doing it again! Thnak you for the great post!

23. Kevin says:

Nice!

Congratulations on a job well done.

24. shannon says:

holy crap that is amazing!

CONGRATUFREAKINGLATIONS!!

25. Eric Decker says:

Love it, Scott! This is inspiring!

26. [...] SJ: I’m still floating on that 102 mile bike ride for the 2012 Tour de Cure. I worked really hard, training for about 18-weeks (even in the cold Minnesota winter) to build up my physical ability and learn how to manage my diabetes while doing an endurance event. http://scottsdiabetes.com/2012/06/pedaling-sleep-100-mile-ride/ [...]

27. […] not be able to do this. So I took it slow and steady, and worked through it. I thought back to my cycling training in 2012 and knew I could do it if I stuck with the […]