468 mg/dl +/- 20%Well, not the whole day.

Just the past five hours.

Do you have any idea how much work I planned on doing in those five hours?

A lot.

Any guesses on how much I actually got done?

Not much.

I’m blaming diabetes.

I was looking forward to a productive afternoon. Then I goofed something up for my post-basketball lunch.

By the time I got home I was already feeling the drag of a high blood sugar.  But I was surprised by just how high it was (460′ish mg/dl).   I don’t know about you guys, but once I hit a certain level of high, my blood sugar gets really stubborn.  An insulin sensitivity calculation for 200 mg/dl doesn’t work as well for 400 mg/dl.  (Anyone know the science behind that?  Why does it work that way?)

It takes a long time to recover from a high blood sugar.

I couldn’t focus on anything, couldn’t find words I was looking for inside my head, couldn’t keep my eyes open.

I just kept watching the clock slide around and around, and worried about all of the work I was supposed to be doing.

22 Responses to Diabetes Stole My Day

1. Stacey says:

Ugh. Hope you’re feeling better. My mother always says don’t worry about the housework, it’ll be there waiting for you! Hope you can catch up on your stuff tomorrow.

2. Katy says:

sorry, scott. i hate diabetes.

3. Katie says:

Coming down from a really high, high is one of the worst things. Sorry it sucked your day. BTW – I had to cancel on the meeting happening this Thursday. I fly out really early on Friday morning and my work ended up scheduling our Christmas party at the same time. Something had to give. Hope to see you again in the New Year.

4. Amylia Grace says:

I hate this for you. I sooo know this feeling, and while it sucks to acknowledge it has something to do with diabetes, it has *a lot* to do with diabetes! Grrr…..

5. Marie Smith says:

Oh, Scott. I am sorry to hear you had one of those days. Stubborn highs are the worst. Sorry you had a day like that. I hope tomorrow is better.

6. Maria says:

I hate days like that. I hope you feel better. the scientist in me suspects that your insulting sensitivity decreases as your blood sugar increases partly because of the difference in dehydration between the “regular” high and the “let me turn into molasses” high. Darn those ketones.

7. Hi Scott, I’m new to your site, and from Australia, so I’m not sure exactly what reading you had compaired to our’s but I have two 11 year old children with Type 1, so that is a good insight as to how they may feel. They can’t always put into words how they are feeling. I’m sorry you felt so badly though, and thank you for sharing. Julie

8. scully says:

this is similar to something I said while I was low (for the 3rd morning in a row) yesterday. “I don’t effing have time for this right now!”
    It’s the truth and we can’t deny that sometimes betes leaves us no choice but to succumb to it’s demands.
    I really hope you are free from ketones and feeling better by the time you read this.
    Lots of love!

9. Ugh, sorry for that High, Scott… can’t stand that! I am so not a fan of Lost Time, whether it be from a Low or a High. All that productive time lost. Anyhow, hope you came down OK and all mellowed out. Another D-Life Day, right.. Best your way, bud.

10. Zazzy says:

Even when my blood sugar starts coming down, all I want to do is sleep. I hope that you’re feeling much better today.

11. Dolores says:

Sorry to hear you felt so badly! But thankful you shared those feelings. As a mom of a young T1 boy, I am constantly asking my son how he feels but he really is too young to properly explain what a high or a low blood sugar feels like. And it’s so important to know. So thanks for sharing … and hope you’re having a much better day today!

12. Scott S says:

The only way to describe this is that diabetes treatments, in spite of all the claims of how much better they are, still leave much to be desired. The reality is that hours lost feeling like crap (high or low) is a big loss, yet the response seems to be “blame the patient” not blame the lousy treatment for diabetes. At some point, my hope is that the dialogue will shift from incremental improvements to fundamentally flawed treatments to starting over and saying “what SHOULD a treatment look like?”. Maybe then these days won’t be shot!

13. Kate says:

Ugh, I’m so sorry. The blood sugar blahs have stolen too many hours from too many people. I hope today is better.

14. StephenS says:

Scott, sorry it was such a crappy day. Hope today is better.

I don’t know why our sensitivity to treatment is different at 400 vs. 200, but I also know that it’s even harder when you consider the dangers of going too low when aggressively treating the high. Kind of a diabetes double-whammy. Be well.

15. Scott E says:

What can I say, other than been there, done that. (Actually, I’ve been there for the past week or so.)

16. Laddie says:

Sorry that you had a crummy day, Scott. Don’t worry about your “mistake” though, because next week you can do the same bolus for your post-basketball lunch and have a low that steals your afternoon. It’s just hard to get it right when you don’t always know the rules that govern the game from day to day.

17. Sorry you had one of those days, and thank you for sharing. It’s nice to occasionally read about the interruptions others experience with D – especially right now since my daughter’s in finals week. I so want to share this blog with her teachers. (They tend to think we make stuff up, which would be why dd took a final with a BG of 357 and close to zero cognitive capability. We both know she knows this stuff, but that internal words search is brute!!) As for the science, I’m not so good at explaining this one, but BG above 250 kicks off greater insulin resistance. Seems like the opposite of what should happen, but alas it’s not. BG over 300, on average, results in half as much insulin resistance again as you might normally contend with. Those averages bother me though, because it’s really very individual.

I definitely can relate!!!! There are few things more annoying than diabetes throwing a majorly out-of-range number that completely wrecks your productivity. :( And yes, those high highs always need some extra insulin to wrangle down for me too – which makes it really hard not to over-correct and then end up with a time-sucking low. Thanks for sharing something I think we all can relate to, and here’s hoping diabetes stays quiet for a while so you can catch up.

19. workretreat says:

I blame diabetes, AND, those wicked gingerbread men who make there way into my kitchen at Christmastime……
    (hope you are feeling better soon)

20. Shannon says:

I hate days like that. When I’m just sitting at my desk at work .. with so much to do and just can’t seem to concentrate hard enough to actually GET it done. :/

21. Emily says:

I’m right there with you, my bg gets stubborn above 280 ish. It takes way way forever to come down and having the patience and not over bolusing is nearly impossible.

22. Scott – Found your blog via @sixuntilme and have added you to my reader.

Sorry to hear that you have had a rough couple of days this month! I too had a low I couldn’t correct on Christmas Eve, although it was 2004. Caught be by total surprise – and let me tell you I was surprised to see four men I didn’t know in my bedroom when I came around! Didn’t end up taking the ambulance trip, but it was scary. Thankfully, this is the only time in my 21 years with diabetes that I couldn’t correct a low myself.

Regarding your posts about highs. I can so relate to them taking a toll for quite some time. I recently read on someone’s blog – can’t remember who – that dehydration of a high is part of the reason it takes longer to bring blood sugar down 100 points at 450 than 250. Water helps the insulin flow better. I was fascinated by this “scientific” point and have given it much thought since I read it. I now drink more water all of the time to help keep my insulin flowing!

Be well, Nancy