FFL-Award

I received this award last month while at CWD’s 2013 Friends for Life conference in Orlando.

That moment easily falls in with some of the most memorable of my life; getting married, witnessing the births of my kids, the many joyful moments of watching them grow.

Looking at the list of people who have received this award in years past makes me feel incredibly humbled and totally awestruck. People like Harold Sanco (2012), Drs. Ben Szirth & Khadija Shahid (2011), Felicia Kaban (2010), Audrey Greenfield & David Harlan (2009),  Betty Brackenridge & Francine Kaufman (2008), Richard Rubin (2007), Dean Kamen & Al Mann (2006).

To think that my name is now on that list absolutely blows my mind.

To make the moment even more special, I was able to share it with my dear friend, colleague, and source of much inspiration, Kerri Sparling.

CIP_2777

She and I have worked very hard to help bring the adults with type 1 track to the FFL conferences, but our work would be nothing without the support of everyone out there in the community. Whether you’ve been able to participate in the conferences or not, you have all been so supportive of this, and it shows.

The adults with type 1 track is growing at an absolutely incredible pace, and I’m so happy to be along for the ride.

This award also recognizes the sacrifices, dedication, and work we have put into sharing so much of ourselves in the diabetes online community. Which again, reflects right back towards how incredible the community itself is. You all make it possible, comfortable, and downright therapeutic most of the time.

I know this is hanging on my wall right now, but when I look at it I think of the incredible community that surrounds us.

Thank you.

17 Responses to The Friend for Life Award

1. StephenS says:

A well deserved honor for both you and Kerri. Congratulations Scott!

2. Scott E says:

Congratulations Scott! I can tell from your response how much this award means to you, and how valuable the award actually is.

3. Kerri. says:

Sharing that moment with you was one of the proudest I’ve had. You inspire so many, Scott, but you definitely inspire me.

4. Dolores says:

Congratulations! Appaulding still … =D>

5. Joanne says:

You and Kerri both do such great work. It makes me happy to know there will be amazing things waiting for my daughter when she grows up because you guys have paved the way. Thank you!

6. kelly2k says:

So incredibly proud of you both!!
    Xoxo

7. Laddie says:

Scott, if you have have a day when you’re feeling a bit down, you can just look at your wall and see this award. It’s a testament to how much you (and Kerri!) are loved and respected by the entire diabetes community. Thanks for all that you do!

8. So so so well deserved. You both are so influential in the community and you navigate through that beautifully and honestly. I also have to say that when I order cheese sandwiches and get scoffed at, I think “Scott wouldn’t scoff” and then feel better! Thanks for being you! Congrats.

9. Jane says:

Congratulations to both of you. I don’t mean to reduce the significance of your award, but do you know if there are Type 2 Diabetics who received the award in the past?

10. Tavia V says:

Scott and Kerri,
    Congratulations! This award is extremely well deserved by the both of you!! I don’t comment often, but I’m here reading often. You both do so much for the DOC. I’m continually amazed!! Way to go!!!

11. I just had a random thought Scott. Since I voted for you, does that mean I get to ride your bike when I visit with you?

Seriously I am incredibly happy for your win. It’s well deserved, thanks for making FFL a great conference for folks with diabetes of all ages.

12. ria says:

awesomeness !
    congratulations to you, Scott and Kerri

13. Laura K. says:

Heartfelt congratulations to both you & Kerri! Honored to know you… sincerely!

14. Jeff says:

They definitely gave it to the right pair of people this year. You’ve both done so much to help build the DOC. Thanks and congrats!

I wish I could have been there to high five you afterwards, and maybe share a soda pop!

Congrats!