I’m really enjoying my work with the team at mySugr. They make learning fun.

Exhibit A (my favorite part starts at 1:37…):

There’s an inside joke buried there that made me laugh out loud – so naturally I’m going to share it with everyone on the internet. :-)

As he’s flying off the kitchen stool, we hear Fredrik exclaim “’cause I’m such a slob!

Some time ago we started sharing pictures and short descriptions of everyone at mySugr on our Facebook page. To make a long story short, I mistranslated something in Fredrik’s picture description and told everyone on Facebook that he’s a slob…

I can only imagine the look on his face when he saw that post. It was probably a lot like the look on my face when I got his e-mail… haha!

I love that this little joke is in the official video, and it will make me laugh each and every time I see it. I couldn’t help but let you guys in on it, too.

Fredrik Scarf

For the record, Fredrik is not a slob. Mad scientist maybe, but not a slob. Anyone who can make a scarf look this cool moments before going on stage for a presentation is definitely not a slob.

Unfortunately, he took the scarf off before presenting.

21 Responses to mySugr Makes Learning Fun

1. Kim says:

I am fascinated with the way he pronounces “glucose”. GlUUUUUcose.

(I’m so glad you’re happy!)

2. Hey Scott,
    great little Article about our all time favorite mySugr! I never saw that Video before :D think i laughed hard like you.

Take care,

Matthias from Germany

3. Fredrik says:

Hihihi yeah, I’ve now accepted my inner slob and will simply roll with the punches ;)

Love working with you buddy! Now I’m off to invent a new crazy way to save the world – crazy scientist style!

4. Vila says:

Scott,

this is really nice (I don´t mean the scarf).

For a few months now, I am a silent reader of some blogs in the US. I have always kept my Diabetes as insignificant in my life as possible. Now after 17 years with type 1, it is amazing to discover that there are other type 1s that write and open up about challenges, feelings, sometimes fears that I share.
    I have never met any real life type 1s after my diagnosis, and suddenly, here they are, even though hidden behind their writings.

But somehow it remains a bit unreal for me – obviously, by only reading, never contributing, just kind of “watching” the DOC over there across the Atlantic, I am not sure I am part of anything. And I am sometimes a bit ashamed about only taking and never giving.

Now you wonder why I make such a comment on your mySugr post …

Well, your post made it a bit more real that there are other type 1s and not even far away – mySugr is around the corner for me, a few minutes away on my bike (or with the 13A – you might know the bus after your stay over here).

Awesome that I find something so close to me on one of my favorite blogs in the US !
    No, I don´t care about the, well, typical Viennese cupcakes in that movie.
    And whether or not a monster is what I´m longing for at the moment, may be worth a separate comment on mySugr´s website.

But I want to take this post as an opportunity to thank you, Scott, so much for sharing and letting me participate by just reading.
    I might prefer to remain invisible in the DOC, but to me, you are one of the “big shots” (…) in the DOC that some of the other bloggers I stop by at might read as well.

So thank you so much to all of you (Scully, George, Becky, Victoria, ScottE, ScottS, Kerri).

… and I like the idea that it would take a few minutes only by bike to connect …

• Sara says:

Love this!!! ^^^

• Vila,

This is one of the most meaningful comments I’ve ever received. Thank you.

Ah! The 13A! That might be one of the most packed buses I’ve ever been on! And the route is often so busy that I could see one 13A bus in front of the one I’m riding, and another behind – all three packed full of people. But your public transit was really wonderful, and I made good use of it while there.

How incredible is it that it took a connection from so far away to open up something so close to you. You should stop by the office and visit – they would love that. And you know, the people there with diabetes feel a variety of ways about how openly they talk about it, etc. Just like us. :-)

You actually give a lot, Vila. Don’t undervalue the gift of the time you share with me in reading, it’s actually the most valuable thing you have, right? I’m honored. And you’re totally part of the family.

Thank you for leaving a comment to say thanks. It really means a lot to me. Maybe we can connect in real life the next time I am in your beautiful city. Please do let me know if you make it to mySugr HQ!

• scully says:

I never get lumped in the same category as people like Kerri and George etc etc. I am like, how is this even possible? I don’t know but I guess it’s not a lie since it’s hard to mistake a name like “scully”.

Such an honour! (dang spell check keeps trying to remove the “u”, Canadian eh?)

5. Brad Meter Boy says:

Hey Vila,
    So nice to read your comment. Yes, it is amazing when we find that we are not alone and in your case just a short bike ride away. And keep in mind that many many people with diabetes are always just a mouse click away on your computer. You are now an official member of the diabetes online community! Welcome.

6. Marlis says:

Vila,
    it would be fantastic if you could visit us at the mySugr HQ. You are more than welcome :)Let’s have a cup of coffee and one of the most delicious cupcakes in Vienna! Just send us a message on the mySugr Facebook page.

Scott :) thanks for that funny story! Made my day!

• Thanks, Marlis! Because of this story I was very careful when I translated your picture!

@Vila – You mentioned not being a fan of the typical Viennese cupcake from the video, so make Marlis treat you to something you like. :-)

7. Scott E says:

Hi Vila! Thanks for the shout-out! Hope to see you around these parts of the internet more often! Of course… only if you’re comfortable with it. No pressure.

8. Vila (but see comment below) says:

This is simply overwhelming for me.
    Thank you all so much for this flood of welcoming words.

And thank you both, Scott and Marlis, for your invitation to stop by the office. This came as unexpected as each of the other welcoming replies.

You got my cupcake comment right, Scott. I think they are pretty as movie props, but I have a much harder time resisting a cup of coffee than a cupcake. So Marlis´ suggestion to have a coffee was right up my alley.

I won´t jump on the bike immediately, but I am a bit in conflict with the idea of turning my diabetes into a monster, and it might be interesting to hear some fresh thoughts on it.

I am sure I will stay around, but not sure yet in which niche.
    Anyway, whether for future comments or for a possible real life meeting, I feel that I would like to put the “o” back into my name and turn it into the real life version, Viola, from now on.

Admittedly, there was a mistake in one name, but no, it was definitively not in “Scully”.

Meeting you, Scott, in Vienna sounds very appealing – just again totally unexpected for me and a bit surreal. But I might get over that once we sit down to have a coffee (…diet coke ? I guarantee to bring that one).

Thank you so much again everyone.
    Viola

9. Viola says:

… I became more and more afraid of that “stuck in their brain” effect when I saw what echo my comment provoked.

But no problem if you continue calling me Vila – I´m prepared to respond to either of them from now on, I just didn´t want to “hide” …

• I will try very hard to say Viola when we meet. At least Vila is still a nice name, right?

I remember a time in high school when there was a typo in my name on some list somewhere (an honor roll, the “B” honor roll, at that) where they called me “Scitt” instead of “Scott.” I spent the rest of that year being called Scitt by my closest friends and worst enemies. Vila is much nicer than Scitt. :-)

Viola,

I had that same feeling you did when I found all these people in the DOC. I have never met any type 1′s and here they were online and ready to be there for me! SO AWESOME!!!

The cool part is while there are all these people there for me when I need them, I get to be there for them too! This community has saved my life and is an important part of my diabetes management these days.

Thanks for the mention!

11. Melissa says:

First – is that fridge full of beer and cupcakes?
    Second – I’ve started using mySugr after a long search for diabetes logging apps for my iPhone and I’ve found it to be far away the best one. I love the analysis and reporting feature of – it really makes it easy to recognize trends in my BGs. Keep up the great work!