A couple weeks ago after basketball at the YMCA, a bunch of the guys were in the locker room talking it up.  We were talking about a lot of stuff, but the conversation found its way to my diabetes.  That happens fairly often, as I am very open and willing to answer questions and talk about it.

What caught me off guard was some older, non-basketball dude in the locker room, turning to me and asking “so – what’s your number?”

I paused, and my internal voice started up…  “WTF dude – do I look like a Select Comfort Mattress to you?”  (you know the commercials, “what’s your sleep number”?)

I paused again, and thankfully my external voice said “well just now it was 119 mg/dl”, I was about to go into how it changes all the time, etc.

But before I could he blurts out “Mine is 186″, then he gets up and leaves!

You know what?  I was perfectly Ok with that.

7 Responses to “What’s YOUR sleep number?”

1. Scott says:

Now, all you need is Lindsay Wagner (the Select Comfort mattress spokeswoman) to join you in the locker room … LOL!

2. Oh man, the Bionic Woman in a guys locker room would be a very different post.
    I wonder why he bounced like that? Weird.
    FYI – Sleep Number beds are incredibl!!!!!. I am just saying….

3. Debbie says:

Hi Scott
    I really like reading your posts. They are great.
    This post reminded me of a couple of weeks ago. We went out for lunch. I was entering the carbs into my pump and a guy at the next table says “time for insulin huh”. That’s the first time anyone had ever said anything about my pump. We ended up having a very nice conversation. He was also diabetic and said his numbers were normally in the 300 range even though he’d lost 148 pounds. I could believe that with the food I saw him eating. But anyway, it was a nice conversation and your entry todays reminded me of that. He had lots of questions about the pump which I answered for him. He said he was going to talk to his doctor about one.

4. Kendra says:

Wow…it’s kinda cool to meet another diabetic just when you’re ready to go on the defensive (or into another educational lecture). I do hate getting asked what “my number” is by people that don’t have diabetes, though.

5. Kelly K says:

Hmmm….A “Locker” moment that was really a B.S. moment, nice. Very after school special. Sometimes not to much needs to be said among those of us in the land of D.
    Glad u went with your second choice, instead of your first, save that for some jerk who thinks that ” your beats must be real bad cause you gotta do test and stuff!”
    k2

6. Jessica says:

I think our ‘numbers’ are getting to me. When I saw the price of gas was $3.35, my first thought was about how mad I’d be if that was my number.

7. Ed says:

This reminds me of when my Dad (a type 2) tries to compare numbers to me. He’ll be all pissed that he’s in the 180s or something – and it’s like yeah dude you just had a huge slice of cake with whip cream – if I had that I’d be in the 300s so shove it. For the first couple months of my diagnosis I had to constantly explain to him the difference between type 1 and type 2.