We accept it because it is part of the world we’ve been thrown into.

Some of us, myself included, are even thankful. Being able to measure it instead of how things used to be is a huge improvement.

But there is nothing not weird about cutting ourselves over and over again to bleed on things.

2014-01-06 16.29.13

Does this make you squirm?

It should!

Why?

Because I’M BLEEDING!!

So not normal.

I’ll do it again, on purpose, in another hour or so.

Manageable my ass…

158 mg/dl, btw.

18 Responses to It’s just weird…

1. John Barton says:

Scott, just wanted to identify with “Manageable my ass”. Felt this way my entire life at every doctor appt. I have ever attended. Not as easy as others may believe! Thanks for letting us see the “truthful” side of managing Type I Diabetes. Thank you for your blog as well, it has helped me to see the positive a little more. – John (29 yrs. of Diabetes at the age of 33)

2. YESSSS. Thank you for this graphic image. It’s so real. We bash and gauge our bodies daily for diabetes. In a zillion years (or presumably and hopefully sooner), people will look back at today’s diabetes tools and think, “My God! How cruel and barbaric!” We are lucky..definitely…but man alive, it certainly could use some improvement. xoxoxo

3. Tavia Vital says:

My favorite response to people who say “I could never have diabetes- I don’t like needles!” is: if you like them I would have all sorts of concerns about you because THAT would be weird!

I think manageable was a term coined by the same people that like to use terms like compliant and non-compliant.

4. Leah Nelson says:

Yes! It’s crazy isn’t it? We forget it’s crazy and barbaric because it’s so routine but it truly is. Scott, I appreciate you and your words.

5. Katie says:

I saw that picture and felt nothing. As in, “there’s a normal finger.” Now that is sad. Great post!

6. Laddie says:

Sometimes I forget that this isn’t normal for everyone….

7. Scott, thanks for the eye opener. Most people who are not managing, don’t really get it because we don’t have to do it. Artemis Biomedical has the technology to end this routine forever.

8. After 40 years of not having a meter, and not being able to know my blood sugar levels, I was very grateful for the finger sticks, and the blood. Barbaric, maybe, but so much better starting in the mid 1980s.

9. Natalie Sera says:

Scott, I also appreciate your unvarnished truth. I hate it when they sugar-coat diabetes, cuz it just ain’t so. But it IS manageable in the sense of preventing you from dying in the next couple of days. (Unless you get hit by a bus!) But normal, no. Not even approaching normal. And yes, it freaks people out. But until something better comes along, we’re stuck. Much as I detest diabetes, I’m working on accepting the fact that I can’t change it or make it go away (and believe me, I’ve tried!) and I do still want to live, so I have no choice. And I just have to deal with it. That’s the only way I’ve found to get through the day. May you get through yours as well as possible! :-)

10. Sara says:

It’s also probably weird that I noticed the marker (?) on your index finger!

11. StephenS says:

Scott, it doesn’t make me squirm. Makes me a little sad though…

12. Julie says:

Of course the second thing glaringly apparent (that “normal” people would NOT notice) is the tiny pinprick dots on all of your fingertips! :)

13. Katy says:

Please wipe before you type on that pristine keyboard!

14. Scott E says:

Call me weird, but I don’t find that weird at all. It’s been a part of my life for so long that it just seems normal.

What I *do* find weird is how, when I was first diagnosed and on one injection a day, I was instructructed to rotate sites so I wouldn’t hit the same spot in at least a week. Fast-forward to the height of MDI, and I was lucky to go a day without reusing a spot!

What does this tell me? People — even (and especially) people with diabetes, are very resilient.

15. Weirdness [Yes]
    Sadness [Yes]

But like Julie, what I really noticed was the crater on your 3rd finger – ouch! That one went in DEEP!

Our Normal sucks.

17. Scott S says:

You KNOW I’m with you on this; when I wrote my post “Why Anger Plays a Critical Role In Diabetes Self-Care” four years ago, your thinking was the exact same thing that went into my post. For me, this $#!t isn’t “normal” and in spite of the mediocre advances that have been made in type 1 diabetes care during the past 50 years, the fact is the demand is a tall order and patients have a handicap in that we simply never have all the info. we truly need to make treatment (e.g. dosage) decisions. Doctors, nurses, CDEs, exercise physiologists (the few out there) can say all they want about how “manageable” diabetes is, but the reality is that cockroaches and ants are manageable too. That doesn’t mean we should want them to move into our homes or lives!

18. Cara says:

The only time I feel truly normal is when I’m with other d people.