Rolling with the D (hat tip to Scott E.)

Scott over at “Rolling in the D” wrote a great post Monday about driving with diabetes.

He read an article on Sunday in his local paper about a PWD dealing with a low blood sugar who was beaten by police for resisting arrest.

It’s a terrifying situation, and every single one of us is vulnerable.  The tighter we manage our diabetes, the more likely we are to have lows. And what do we know about lows? They compromise the one thing we need to get through it safely – our brain.

What more can I do besides wear appropriate medical id? And is that even enough? What if the officers don’t see it?  What if I’m combative?

In 2009 I saw a news blurb about this type of thing and started searching for ways to keep me safe. I wear a medical id bracelet AND necklace, and frankly, what good do those do me in a situation like this? I found a “Diabetic Driver” (site/link currently not working properly) sticker and put them on my vehicle. But that’s a dicey decision too, right? Not everyone is comfortable telling the world about their diabetes.

However, telling the world about my diabetes is exactly what I need if I’m so low that my brain isn’t working right.

The possibility of this situation scares the crap out of me.

There are more thoughts and discussion on an older post here.

Get posts by email?

Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.

11 Comments on "Rolling with the D (hat tip to Scott E.)"

Guest
2 years 10 months ago

I agree, this scares the crap out of me too. And I feel like it’s one of those things that I can try hard to avoid, but it also depends a lot on luck. Because there have been times when I tested in range, but dropped quickly while in the car and ended up low by the time I got where I was going. Scary stuff.

Guest
Lisa Y
2 years 10 months ago

Very timely post for me as my teen son with T1D and I are talking about his permit in the very near future. Would love to have more information for him to be aware of so I can chill and not “drive” him crazy!

Guest
2 years 10 months ago

Felix, after a longer period of time with T1D (I’ve had it for over 30), hypoglycemic-unawareness begins to set in. For me, personally, sometimes I don’t “feel it” until my blood sugar is in the 50s. By then, I’d need some FAST acting carbs – certainly faster than a Rice Krispies Treat would act (although it does sound delicious!)

Guest
felix
2 years 10 months ago

Yes I’ve heard that hypo-unawareness happens over time. Another thing to look forward to I guess!

Guest
2 years 10 months ago

my kid is gonna be driving in the next couple of years so these are things that are definitely in my future. thanks for sharing!

Guest
felix
2 years 10 months ago

In my experience (40 yrs old, type 1 for 7 years) going low enough to pass out while driving is not really an issue. I can feel when I’m getting that low (sweating + feeling faint) and I just keep a load of rice crispy treats + powerade in the glove box. I guess others do not get the warning symptoms? My only worry about going low is when sleeping.