I think many of you saw the great contest that Amy Tenderich put together over at Diabetes Mine™, the “DiabetesMine™ Holiday Survival Sweepstakes“. Amy did an incredible job of pulling together some really valuable prizes, and we all really enjoyed giving so much stuff away. In total she gave away more than $2500 in over 50 prizes!! Wow!
We all also learned a bunch of great strategies for coping with the holidays from all of you. Many of these tips and tricks can really be used all through the year, which makes all of the ideas even more valuable.
Now we need to ask for a little something in return. We need some pictures. We are working to put together an “ebook” to (as Allison so perfectly puts it) “collect the wonderful words of wisdom that the community created”.
Books like this go better with pictures. Amy asked for submissions it in her post earlier in the week, but we’ve only had three pictures so far (and two of them were from us!). That’s just not going to cut it.
We need pictures for five chapters, with each chapter revolving around the questions from the contest (Exercise, Coping with Parties, Travel, Stress, and Diabetes Police). Allison has made some general suggestions for the pictures:
- EXERCISE – examples can include: pictures of you (or your spouse/child) playing a team sport or doing a physical activity like hiking, skiing, swimming, etc; pictures of your exercise equipment like your treadmill or weights; pictures of the place you exercise, like tennis courts, gym, backyard, pool.
- COPING WITH PARTIES – examples can include: pictures of you at parties, with friends or family or spouse; pictures of food from your parties; pictures of party decorations;
- TRAVEL – examples can include: pictures of you at exotic locations like theme parks, Hawaii, Europe, etc.; pictures of you with your relatives at a place other than your home; pictures of you on a train, plane or automobile or pictures that you’ve taken from such locations; pictures of you at rest stops, restaurants, or any other fun landmark that you’ve come across on your travels.
- STRESS – examples of ways that you like to destress, such as pictures of your yoga mat or candles; pictures of games or activities that you like to play; pictures of locations, like the outdoors or the beach that help destress you; pictures of your pets…
- DIABETES POLICE – pictures of you doing anything that the Diabetes Police says you can’t: pictures of you at parties; pictures of you doing an unusual activity, like scuba diving or backpacking around Europe; pictures of you with your insulin pump or insulin pen – which gives you the freedom to do what you want.
These are all just suggestions though. If you have a picture or photo that you think would fit well for any of these, please send it along to us!
Amy has set up a flickr group for the photos.
If we don’t get some more pictures, we’ll have to feature “Scottie J” in my basketball gear (“RecSpec” goggles and mouth guard), blown up to full size, on each and every page (if this doesn’t scare you into action, I’m not sure what will…). Please folks, we’re desperate…